Board of Commissioners

Alan DeCarlo

Alan is a long time member of the fire service beginning his career with the Ridge Culver Fire Department in 1993. After graduating from Ithaca College with a dual degree in Business and Economics he began working as an EMT for Monroe Ambulance and returned to college to obtain his certification as a Paramedic. In 2004, he was hired as a Firefighter/Paramedic with the Barnard Fire District. He also works on a casual basis with other emergency service agencies in Monroe County. Alan is a nationally certified firefighter and fire service instructor.

He resides in the northern part of the district with his wife and step-children.

Tom Emerson

Commissioner Emerson was born and raised in a very small town in Northwest Pennsylvania and started college at Mansfield State Teachers College. His college education was interrupted by a term in the U.S. Air Force and a tour of Vietnam where he was awarded the Bronze Star, which inspired the desire to protect, assist, and support everyone around him. Upon completion of his military service, Kodak offered him a job he could not refuse in research and aerial photography which brought him to the Town of Greece in 1971.

In 1978 Kodak sent him to Washington, DC as a service representative in various agencies of the U.S. Government. He was then transferred to Manhattan, N.Y. as a District Supervisor. The next assignment was to Oklahoma City as a District Supervisor for Oklahoma, southern Kansas, Kansas City, Northwestern Texas, and western Arkansas. He then transferred back to New York State and was assigned to Upstate New York from Albany to the Canadian Border. He spent his final years with Kodak in Greece, New York as an Educational Instructor at Elmgrove where he retired after being with the company for 38 years.

Tom was committed to his career to support his family and each of the Kodak moves/assignments allowed for the opportunity to fulfill the desire to protect, assist and support all those around him. He was a Volunteer Firefighter for 40 years: as Chief in New Jersey while assigned to Manhattan, a fire fighter in Oklahoma, Rexford NY, and a member of the Fire police Squad in the North Greece Fire Department. He has always desired to give back to the residents, fire fighters and the Town of North Greece, while protecting those he serves!

Mike MacKenzie

Mike MacKenzie

Mike Beaty

Mike Beaty comes from a North Greece Fire Family. His dad was a volunteer firefighter for 40 years and the secretary/treasurer of the fire district for many years. Mike joined the department on his 18th birthday and has been serving this community since 1965 as a firefighter, officer, chief officer, and Director on the Board.

He retired from Eastman Kodak Co. after 30 years in the skilled resource division. Three of those years were spent overseeing 1,200 employees in seven departments as a health, safety and environmental representative.

Mike married his lovely wife in the 1970’s and has three girls and a bunch of grandkids.

Bill Rickman

Bill Rickman has been a lifelong resident of the Town of Greece. He was born in North Greece and has lived there most of his life. After 7 years of living on Lake Ontario, he recently moved back to North Greece with Carol, his wife of 47 years. They have 2 married children and 4 grandchildren.

Bill has an associate degree in Fire Protection Technology and is a graduate of the National Fire Academy with a 4-year degree in Executive Fire Officer.

He began his fire service as a North Greece volunteer at the age of 18 to join his father who was a member for over 50 years. His mother was a charter member of the North Greece Ladies Auxiliary. He is currently a member of the North Greece Exempts.

Bill worked for the Ridge Road Fire District for 36 years and retired as the Deputy Chief. He also spent time as an appointed Commissioner to fill a vacancy at the Hamlin Morton Walker Fire District and is currently serving as their Fire District Administrator.

History of the District

William Schmitt, a Buick dealer, formed the North Greece Fire District. A Pierce-Arrow truck was purchased for $6,700, the first motorized fire truck in the Town of Greece. In June of 1922, the Blacksmith Shop at the corner of North Greece and Latta Roads became the first fire house, and William Schmitt, the first chief. During the 20’s the Department responded to many fires and traveled out of the District to assist surrounding Fire Departments.

In 1935, Chief William Schmitt declared the 1922 Pierce-Arrow unsafe; two 1936 American-La France pumpers were purchased. The Fire Department had grown to 55 members.

With the beginning of the 40’s, the District purchased an inhalator and placed it in a squad car to be used or medical emergencies. In 1944, the Ladies Auxiliary was formed.

The 50’s saw rapid growth in the North Greece Fire District. The first radio was placed in truck #5. The truck could communicate with the Rochester Radio Control Center. In 1955, Fire radio receivers were purchased for all volunteers. As more homes were built in the eastern part of the District, it was determined that a second fire house was needed. On July 27, 1958, the new house at Latta Road and Mt. Read Blvd. was dedicated. In September of 1958, two new Seagrave pumpers were placed into service at the new fire house.

As we moved into the 60’s the District saw an even faster rate of growth. Many family farms along Latta Road disappeared, and tracks of homes sprung up. On September 15, 1963, the construction of a new communication center and three bay addition was dedicated at the station at North Greece and Latta Roads. In October 1963, the State installed a traffic light at the corner of Latta Road and Mt. Read Blvd. On Sunday, March 21, 1965, a disastrous fire struck the business district in Hilton. Over 500 fire fighters from 15 companies battled the fire. A large portion of the business district was lost. One person died in the fire. The department newsletter, the Alarm, was started in the Fall of 1969 by Patty Williams and Jane Burgess.

As the District continued to grow, the Spring of 1970 saw the ground breaking for the expansion of the Latta Road and Mt. Read Blvd. station. Also, at the same time, Headquarters was moved to that location. The North Greece Benevolent Association was organized in July 1970. 1972 saw the first ladder truck purchased for the District, a Tele-squirt. Also, the ladder truck was the first to be painted with the new truck color – “chrome yellow.” The Department celebrated its 50th Anniversary in 1972. In December of 1972, the Department announced the creation of the Fire Prevention and Inspection Division; Gene Preston was in charge. On February 11, 1973, the North Greece Fire Department assisted the Lake Shore Fire Department at the Crescent Beach Hotel fire. The hotel was completely destroyed and one employee lost his life. Tragedy struck the Department on October 4, 1975, when firefighter Charles Werner fell from the back seat of a pumper and was killed.

As the size of the District’s population increased and the demand for service continued to grow, in 1981 it was determined that four full time fire fighters would be hired. They worked 6 AM to 6 PM, Monday through Friday. In April of 1983, station #3 was completed on English Road.

The history of the North Greece Fire Department up to 1982 was taken from the book Milestones Along The Way 1922 to 1982, written by Eugene Preston and John Stageman.

1983 also saw the opening of the Training ground at 3666 Latta Road. A three-story cinderblock building was constructed as a smoke house. In 1986, Thomas Grace was promoted from career fire fighter to Lieutenant. He was assigned to direct the career fire fighters, dispatchers and administrative staff. This was the year that the new attack pumpers were purchased, and the apparatus colors were changed to white over red. In 1988 the tele-squirt ladder truck was replaced with a 75 foot quint.

With a concern for the many facets of emergency rescues, in 1991 the District purchased a Heavy Rescue Truck. As the North Greece Fire District continued to grow, a need was seen for 24 hour coverage by career staff. In 1996 Station #1 went to 24-7 coverage; and, in 1997 Station #2 joined them. Also in 1997, the first Thermo-Imaging Camera was put into service. Station #2 was extensively enlarge in the same year. In 1999 Station #3 was remodeled and the living quarters were enlarged, and it became a 24-7 operation in 2000. With the turning of the century, our 75 foot quint was replaced with a 105 foot truck.

As we look to the future new and innovative technology will be our guide to change.